Please note that fellowship registration will be open until July 11, 2017, and the fellowship will run from September 2017 through May 2018
This unique program brings together full and part-time youth professionals* in the first two years of their careers to learn with experts in the field, create a peer-to-peer learning group, and explore how to create meaningful and sustainable youth engagement models in their community. The Youth Professional 101 Fellowship is for you if you are:
• New (first two years) in your position as a Youth Director/Advisor and are looking for a cohort of people to learn and grow with
• Looking for the skills and knowledge necessary to build a strong youth program
• Ready to think deeply about youth engagement and create new and meaningful ways of engaging youth in Jewish life with a cohort of your peers.
*Youth Professionals come in all shapes and sizes in our Reform Jewish world. This program is appropriate for anyone with the “hands-on” responsibility for providing informal/youth group experiences for teens (6th-12th grade) in their congregation. This can include full-time professionals, part-time professionals, and volunteers. Once the cohort is formed we will adapt the small group work to meet the needs of the participants and their varied schedules and roles.
Participants in the 2017-18 Youth Professional 101 Fellowship will:
1. Attend an in-person conference to learn with their cohort and experts from the field (held at HUC-JIR in Cincinnati, OH from September 5-7, 2017)
2. Participate in monthly Interactive Learning Webinars
3. Meet twice monthly via interactive web meeting with a coaching group - a small group of peers led by an experienced youth professional serving as the group coach
4. Complete approximately one hour of individual learning a month that will be discussed on the webinars and with coaching groups.
Review the overview of topics here that will be covered during the in-person learning, webinars and coaching groups
Fellows will receive a certificate of completion and will be invited to publish articles about their learnings in URJ publications.
As a professional in a URJ congregation in good standing, there is no cost for the webinars, materials, and coaching sessions for the Youth Professional 101 Fellowship. However, each Fellow will be responsible for his/her room, board and travel to the Conference.
Room/Board for the Fall conference: $180.00
Travel subsidies will be available for any travel over $200.00.
If you are interested in participating and are not from a URJ Congregation, please contact Erica B. Santiago
, Program Manager of Learning and Innovation, Youth
Direct Congregational Supervisors:
The Youth Professional 101 Fellowship also includes learning and support for direct supervisors of Youth Professionals, to deepen the impact of their learning and advance your overall youth engagement work.
Direct Congregational Supervisors of 2017-18 Youth Professional 101 Fellows will:
1. Meet monthly in a unique online Community of Practice taught by a Hebrew Union College School of Education Jewish Institute of Religion leader, where you will explore together mentoring, supervising, and strategies for creating sustainable youth programs.
2. Continue the conversation in the Tent to share reflections, troubleshoot, and learn with your fellow supervisors.
Contact: Erica B. Santiago, Program Manager for Innovation and Learning
Ready to Apply?
You can register your congregation to participate in the program even if you have not yet hired your youth professional for the 2017-18 year. The form can be filled out by a youth professional, supervisor or lay leader.
Applications: Applications accepted through July 11, 2017. Applicants will be notified by the end of July if they have been accepted- Space is limited.
This program is offered in partnership with Hebrew Union College – Jewish Institute of Religion and is made possible by a generous grant from The Covenant Foundation.